Will County Land Use, Resource Recovery & Energy Department holds at least two Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events in the spring and one in the fall. For more information please visit www.willcountygreen.com. Will County also helps to fund a permanent HHW Drop-Off open every weekend (except holidays). Business waste is not accepted. The HHW facility in Naperville is open to all residents of Illinois.
The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency occasionally sponsors one-day events that can be checked through their website at www.epa.state.il.us/land/hazardous-waste-haz-waste/hhwc-schedule.html.
Full Service Drop-off Site:
Naperville Regional HHW
180 Fort Hill Drive (as of February 21, 2015)
(no phone calls please)
Saturday & Sunday 9:00am – 2:00pm
- Stay in your vehicle! This is for your safety.
- Clearly mark items in your trunk as HHW material to avoid having personal items collected by a HAZMAT crew member.
- Expect that there may be a wait. This facility is one of only four household hazardous waste sites in the State of Illinois. Hazardous materials dropped off are processed for disposal as they are received at the facility. Please only bring accepted items, as this will help expedite the collection process.
Accepted Household Items
- Aerosol cans
- Automotive fluids (including oil, gasoline and anti-freeze)
- Asbestos materials (in a size that will fit in a 55-gallon drum; not in excess of 50 pounds)
- Batteries (including automotive, marine and sump pump)
- Fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFLs (sealed, unbroken only)
- Household cleaners, drain openers and pool chemicals
- Paints and stains (oil based only)
- Peanut oil
- Poison, pesticides and fertilizers
- Non-controlled prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Propane tanks (20 pounds or less)
- Solvents and strippers
- Unknown hazardous substances
Items NOT Accepted
- Compressed gas (other than propane
- Electronics (accepted at recycling drop-off center)
- Empty spray cans and containers
- Helium tanks
- Latex Paint (see below)
- Paper, glass, metal, wood and Styrofoam
- Radioactive materials
- Sharps (needles or lancets)
- Smoke detectors
- Trash and non-hazardous materials
- Unopened, useable consumer products
Latex Paint and Stain Disposal and Recycling
Latex paint is not a hazardous material. To discard leftover latex paint in the trash it must first be hardened. Leave the lid off or to expedite the process, add an absorbent such as cat litter, oil dry or saw dust. Once the liquid paint is absorbed, place the can in the garbage with the lid off so the driver can tell that the paint is dry.
If you have questions about the City's household hazardous waste collection program, please call the Department of Public Works at (630) 420-6095, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7:00am and 4:30pm.
- City of Naperville - (630) 420-6095
- DuPage County - (630) 407-6700
- Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) - (217) 782-9261
- City of Aurora - (630) 844-3621
- Kane County - (630) 208-3841
- Will County - (815) 727-8834
For more information, visit the DuPage County Department of Economic Development and Planning.